They're here! Compañía All Stars of Santiago de Cuba is in the Bay Area for 3 weeks this May and June! They will parade with us in SF Carnaval, teach dance workshops, star in performances, and more. We are still accepting donations for the project (see below). Thanks to all of you who have donated already -- this wouldn't have been possible without your support! The group will be doing the following public events during their residency:
- 5/19, 6:00 - 7:30pm: Performance with Orq. Moderna Tradición at Yerba Buena Gardens Festival
- 5/20, 7:30 - 9:30pm: All Stars Teach Friday Night Rueda Classes at ODC
- 5/21, 8:00 - 11:00pm: All Stars Stage Show and Dance Party at Brava Theater (click to buy tickets)
- 5/22, 8:00 - 9:30pm: All Stars Stage Show at Brava Theater (click to buy tickets)
- 5/23, 7:30 - 9:45pm: All Stars Teach Monday Night Rueda Classes in Oakland
- 5/27, 7:30 - 11:55pm: Rueda Classes and Party with the All Stars at ODC
- 5/29, All Day: SF Carnaval Parade, Stage Performance, and After Party
- 5/31, 7:30 - 9:30pm: All Stars Workshops in Mountain View
- 6/1, 6:00 - 10:00pm: All Stars Workshops in Santa Cruz
- 6/3, 5:00 - 8:30pm: FREE - All Stars, RCR: Performances, Classes at the de Young
- 6/4, 12:00 - 4:30pm: Intensive All Stars Workshops in Oakland
- 6/5, 11:30am - 5:00pm: Intensive All Stars Workshops in San Francisco
- 6/6, 7:30 - 9:45pm: All Stars Teach Monday Night Rueda Classes in Oakland
- 7/22 - Study with the All Stars and Dance in Carnaval in Cuba - Summer Dance Study Trip
You can follow all the latest updates about the All Stars' time in the Bay Area on the Facebook Event Page.
How is it happening? This project with the All Stars is fiscally sponsored by Brava! for Women in the Arts. Brava! is a professional arts organization with non-profit status that aims to cultivate the artistic expression of underrepresented voices. They are able to facilitate tax-deductible donations and sponsor the dancers’ visas.
How can I help? Monetary donations and volunteering! Flights, visa applications, health insurance, and living costs are expensive. Some costs will be offset by workshop and ticket sales, but your contributions will constitute the seed money to get the dancers here.
How can I donate? Any amount would be appreciated! We have Sponsor a Dancer contribution levels which include private lessons and more benefits starting at $500. Donations can be made via:
- Brava’s website at http://brava.org/utility/support-brava. To confirm your donation goes to this project, simply select fund "Compañía All Stars Santiago de Cuba" on Step 2.
- Check made to Brava - All Stars, given to us in person or mailed to: (Ryan Mead 184 Park St., Apt. B San Francisco, CA 94110)
- Your company’s donation matching program, if available, to Brava! and with a note for All Stars
There are a number of other ways you can contribute to this project. Here are a few ideas:
- Host a lunch or dinner for the dancers at your house or a restaurant
- Donate airline miles
- Host future fundraising events
- Donate mass transportation options like Clipper cards or ride-sharing (Uber/Lyft) credits
- Volunteer to staff special events or workshops
- Serve as a Spanish interpreter or a guide for the dancers’ excursions and performances
- Donate ESL materials that we can give the dancers in April in preparation for their trip
- Purchase tickets to the All Stars workshops and events in May and June and tell your friends about them!
If you have any questions or ideas about this project or would like to sign up to volunteer or donate, please CONTACT US.